God is your Shield

Psalm 3:3 (AMP)
“But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.”

2 Samuel 22:3a (NKJV)
3 The God of my strength, in whom I will trust; my Shield

What is a shield?
According to Strong’s Concordance [4043], a shield in Hebrew is called ‘Mâgên’ [Maw-gane’], meaning a buckler, figuratively it means a protector, defence, armed, ruler and the armour of a crocodile. If you look at this definition, it shows us how multifaceted God’s defence is. The shield of the Lord is something that is used to protect us from the fiery arrows of the enemy. It is an instrument of defence. 


The shield of the Lord is both offensive and defensive because another meaning of this word is ‘armed’. When something is armed, it means it is equipped, fortified, prepared and ready for battle/war. Not only that, the shield of the Lord gives complete protection from the enemy.


If you look at the crocodile, God has created it to be covered in body armour that makes it one of the most dangerous predators on earth. Crocodiles do not have many natural enemies, except for man. It is very rare that lions, for instance, attack a crocodile; it is the hunter and not the hunted.  Are you starting to get the picture of what God’s protection is like by the pictures He is painting with the word?


Genesis 15:1(AMP)
“After these things, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram, I am your Shield, your abundant compensation, and your reward shall be exceedingly great.”


The shield of the Lord is God’s covering and shelter over every believer. It removes fear. It symbolises His rulership and care over believers. God’s shield is His banner which is His love.  In God’s love is care and kindness. God not only protects He cares for you. He provides for your needs. He is the Mighty Man in battle who would do anything to look after you. He can do anything to guarantee your care and safety. His shield and buckler is His eternal instrument of security and care.


Confession based on Psalm 27, Psalm 28:7

Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud; have mercy and be gracious to me and answer me! You have said, ‘Seek My face [inquire for and require My presence as your vital need].’ My heart says to You, ‘Your face Lord, will I seek, inquire for, and require [of necessity and on the authority of Your Word]. Hide not Your face from me; turn not Your servant away in anger, You Who have been my help! Cast me not off, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation!’


Awake, awake put on strength, Oh arm of the Lord; awake as in the ancient days.  The Lord is my Strength and my [impenetrable] Shield; my heart trusts in, relies on, and confidently leans on Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song will I praise Him. 


I will wait and hope for and expect the Lord; by the grace of God I will be brave and of good courage. My heart, be stout and enduring. Yes, wait for and hope for and expect the Lord, in Jesus name, AMEN!

Comments