God is your standard against the enemy’s flood

The scriptures say that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Saviour. Let us look into the word to see one of the qualities that qualifies Jesus as our Saviour.

Isaiah 59:19 (NKJV)
19 So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and His glory from the rising of the sun; when the enemy comes in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD will lift up a standard against him. 

What is a flood? In simple terms it is an overflow or an inundation either of water or a circumstance. Have you ever seen the devastation of the aftermath of a flood? It destroys property, fells trees; it causes gullies, and erosion and sadly the loss of lives. So a flood is a natural disaster that should be taken very seriously. If we look at the meaning of the word in Strong’s concordance [5104];   we discover the following. 

Flood: nâhâr [naw-hawr’] means a stream, river {the Nile and Euphrates are both mighty rivers}, sea. From this, we can see that the context in which the above scripture is referring to is that of the might of these rivers in times of flood. If you think of how much raw power is exerted by these water bodies in flood conditions it is staggering how many metric tons of pressure it can exert. 

If you can imagine this scripture this way; when the enemy comes to attack your life and destiny like a flood: that means attacking from every angle he can possibly conjure up – health, relationships, work, etc. It means he is in his, ‘kill, steal and destroy mode’. Regardless of whatever form of attack the enemy is using, the word says the Spirit of God raises a standard that not only stops but contains him. Is there anything too hard for our God? No! If God is for you who can be against you?

2 Samuel 22: 1-3 (NKJV) 
1 Then David spoke to the LORD the words of this song, on the day when the LORD had delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul. 2 And he said: “The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; 3 The God of my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, My stronghold and my refuge; My Saviour, You save me from violence.

David has described who God is and how He saves us from trouble and adversity. When you know this then you will do this:

2 Samuel 22: 4 (NKJV)
4 I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies. 

Why should you call on the Lord? The answer is contained in the verses below:

2 Samuel 22:5-7 (NKJV)
5 “When the waves of death surrounded me, the floods of ungodliness made me afraid. 6The sorrows of Sheol surrounded me; the snares of death confronted me. 7 In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried out to my God; He heard my voice from His temple, and my cry entered His ears.

These are unbearable conditions and situations that are difficult to bear; death, sorrow and distress. They are impossible for man to cope with, or handle, so only God can stem the tide of these agonizing conditions.  David is linking the presence of God to a temple where He dwells, a real church of Christ. This means that if as a believer you are having a challenge; your family altar should be like a temple where you can take your challenge to, from that altar God should be able to hear you, so that your cry enters His ears.  

Child of God, you must call upon God; He is abundantly able to deliver you and save all those who trust in Him. Beloved, please understand that you must be persistent in prayer. How long did David pray this prayer of deliverance? He prayed without ceasing. He persevered. 

Your focus should be on the victories God gives you along the way. David was not focusing on the attacks that kept coming each time after his prayer, he focused on the deliverance that followed or came after each prayer. If he had focused on why those barrages of attacks kept coming even after prayers, on why betrayals and conspiracies were coming even from close quarters; it would have discouraged him and allowed his enemies to take the upper hand. 

Similarly beloved, focus on the battles you have won by the Hand of God, not on the arrows the enemy keeps firing at you. In the end what matters is that you emerge victorious, not the war organised by the enemy that keeps coming like a flood.

Comments